efore I share with you what I've been up to on my back hall stairs, I have to tell y'all that I won Sweet Nothings
$99 Enamel House Number Sign from the Danish company Ramsigns
. I am giddy with delight. BJ's fun giveaway was something I really wanted to win because I knew my cottage-by-the-creek would look very fetching sporting some new numbers out front. So after an exhausting day stripping 55-year-old adhesive off of my stairs, I checked my email before going to bed and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw BJ's sweet email stating I'd won! Now I just have to decide which style will best suit my traditional Cape Cod style house. I need a new roof and I intend to paint the shutters and front door too - now I can replace my dated and dowdy house numbers with the smart and stylish numbers from Ramsigns. Thanks, BJ, for this blessing!! God is so good!A
fter going to a couple of estate sales with my Mom and stopping for tea, I headed over to Home Depot and bought some adhesive stripper so I could try and clean up the stairs after removing two layers of flooring. Last night I yanked off one layer of vinyl, one layer of old linoleum, and the subfloor. I had to enlist Ben's help to get the subfloor up as I just wasn't strong enough.
The "before" picture
he beadboard is new and the walls are freshly painted. The old vinyl had yellowed and I knew I needed to replace the floor in order to really make this space shine.I
made sure I wore a mask when I pulled off the second layer of linoleum because I suspect it's got asbestos in it. It was hard to remove it because I couldn't get my pry bar behind it so I ended up chipping it apart to make a gap so I could get the pry bar started. I was paranoid the whole time, thinking I was exposing myself to asbestos - too many law suit commercials on these days!T
his is the product the man at Home Depot recommended. I used a small roller to apply it and tried to get it on pretty thick, though that was hard to do on the risers. After about 1-1/2 hours, I gave it another dose. If there was just adhesive, it may have worked better, but there seemed to be a layer of tar paper covered with green felt. That caused me much angst. My back is NOT happy with me tonight. Nor are my knees ...A
fter three hours, I began the arduous task of scrapping and scrubbing. Again, this was NOT fun. I was not able to get all the black tar gunk off but I did get most of the adhesive off of the risers. Tomorrow I'll share a photo of what the stairs look like "naked." For now, I'm done in. It was hard work and I'm sure my friends and family would say I'm nuts. Initially I thought I'd just peel off the old flooring, put down a new sub-floor and install peel-and-stick groutable tiles from the Home Depot. But then I got the crazy idea to paint the stairs ... T
onight I'll be dreaming of painted stairs ... and enamel signs from Ramsigns ...